Sunday, January 22, 2012

A Lesson In Teaching


My session at IN & UP PILATES with Master Trainer Niedra Gabriel was one of the most rewarding Pilates experiences I have ever had!  I could re-cap our terrific session, but what I really want to do is reflect on the extraordinary teaching I received. 

First of all, Niedra is truly a Pilates Rock Star… she has had over 30 years of Pilates experience, and personally trained under Romana Kryzanowska, one of Joseph Pilates original students!  Romana was a ballet dancer with ABT who turned to Pilates when she suffered from an ankle injury… so her Pilates lineage is infused with “dance”.  In my experience, this usually translates to a style of Pilates that has the discipline, laser-focus on perfect technique, and competitive intensity of a ballet class.  And, while I love the world of dance I come from, I have found that as a Pilate Student, I need a style that is a little more nurturing, open to modifications, and adaptable to my own body.  

Niedra was the first Romana teacher I have worked with who struck the brilliant balance of pushing me, inspiring me, and talking to me in dancer terms that I could respond and relate to, while also keeping my body and it’s health at the forefront of our session.  It was as if my two worlds of Dance and Pilates had finally found a perfect union!  Niedra’s teaching style is direct, serious, and incredibly articulate.  Her cues and words are brief, but perfectly clear.  She is grounded and poised, like a ballet teacher, and it’s clear she is willing to work just as hard as you are for the duration of your session.  And what an eye!  By the time we reached the Rowing Series on the Reformer, Niedra knew my body and all my bad movement habits inside and out, and gave me wonderful suggestions for addressing them, both in the Pilates studio and onstage.  But by far, the most impressive quality about Niedra’s teaching was that the flow and dynamics of the system were SO in her body.  The reformer series literally felt like a dance to me - I was moving with such flow and freedom.  I attribute this to her confidence as a teacher - she wasn’t afraid to get me moving and challenge my control and range of motion.  I think I finally understand true Pilates extension work after our session together!  Amazing!  

As a new teacher I understand the desire & necessity to error on the side control and caution… after all, the safety of the client is at stake!  But at this session, I got a glimpse of what teaching might be like 20-30 years from now, and I am deeply inspired!

After our session every single muscle in my body felt awake, worked, and stretched.  I felt the effects of our session for DAYS! I cannot recommend Niedra enough - what a privilege it was to work with her!  If you are ever in the LA area, and wanting an amazing pilates experience, she’s your trainer!

Thank you IN & UP Pilates for the best Pilates I’ve experienced in my travels thus far!  I’ll be back to visit the next time I’m in LA!

No comments:

Post a Comment